Wednesday 11 May 2016

Wednesday May 11

If you asked any birder what his ideal weather conditions and times of year were, you may well find him going misty eyed and describing mid-May in overcast, humid conditions with outbreaks of thundery rain and a light north-easterly breeze. In other words exactly the weather we have had for the last two days.

Indeed there are reports of rarities and scarcities all over the country. Would Morton Bagot join the party?

I ventured out this evening trying to keep my optimism under control, this is only little Morton Bagot after all. So my disappointment level was not too great when I discovered that the only new arrivals were a pair of Gadwall (possibly the pair seen in early April). At least the star of the show, the Wood Sandpiper, was still in residence. It obviously likes it here.

The Wood Sandpiper with a Redshank
Other than the usual Lapwings, the only other waders were the resident Redshank and regularly visiting Little Ringed Plover.

The pair of Gadwall
Other birds on offer tonight were a Treecreeper, a Little Owl, a pair of Shelducks, at least five singing Blackcaps, two Sedge Warblers, and 20 House Martins. Sue had reported the Cuckoo this morning, but it was remaining defiantly silent this evening.

I left feeling a bit guilty that I hadn't twitched Arrow Valley Lake (closer to our house than Morton Bagot) to see the five Black Terns which had arrived there today. I suppose a tiny little voice was telling me that maybe they would unexpectedly fly off, and briefly call in to Morton Bagot!

They didn't.

1 comment:

  1. Richard, I told you. That Cuckoo spots your car at least 2 miles off!

    ReplyDelete