Sunday 19 June 2016

Sunday June 19

A largely sunny morning, with cloud cover slowly increasing to become total by mid-day. A light south-westerly breeze.

As far as birds are concerned it remains predictably quiet. The Little Owl was showing well, and the flash pool contained five Teal, a Gadwall, and three Lapwings. The Cuckoo was calling, and I think there were two Reed Warblers singing.

Little Owl
The Teal "flock"
Gadwall
I soon started focussing on insects, both ones I could identify and ones I could not. Butterflies seen were Small Tortoiseshell, Large White, about 10 Large Skippers, Speckled Woods, Ringlet, Meadow Browns, and Small Heaths.

Large Skipper

Ringlet
Sticking with lepidoptera, I had a go at photographing one of the little grass moths which get kicked up as you proceed through the long grass.


I believe the species involved has the slightly disappointing English name of Garden Grass Veneer, or in latin Chrysoteuchia culmella. 

I am on firmer ground with dragonflies, and recorded both Beautiful and Banded Demoiselles, Blue-tailed, Common Blue, and Azure Damselflies, Emerald Damselflies, Broad-bodied and Four Spotted Chasers, and Emperor Dragonfly.

A male Banded Demoiselle
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Emerald Damselfly
The fun really starts with other insects.

A soldier fly Four-barred Major Oxycera rara 


A hoverfly Helophilus pendulum apparently also called Footballer Hoverfly
Another soldier fly, this time a Banded General Stratiomys potamida 
If anyone reading this knows what the insect in the last photo is, I'll be pleased to hear from them. I am guessing it is some kind of overfly. However, you may be too late because I have now added a caption giving the result of my research.

Hours of fun!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard, have you tried the website Ispotnature.org for your mystery insect? I've just discovered the site, Loads of experts and they have identified all the ones I have posted so far

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick, I think I got the correct identification today by a combination of googling, and finding a very useful flickr account by Stephen Falk (I think). I have tried ispot Nature, but I may be too impatient. I like a site called Naturespot which is based in Leicestershire. I wish more counties would do something similar. I very much enjoy your blog by the way, there are considerable similarities between our patches. Feel free to correct any potentially dodgy Moth identifications I come up with. All the best Richard

    ReplyDelete