Thursday 20 October 2016

Thursday October 20

A mostly cloudy morning, although the sun did come out for 30 minutes late morning. A light northerly breeze.

Today's visit was not one that will linger in the memory for long. I chose to walk along the road for a change, though experience should tell me that this is never a very productive route. Ironically it did provide the day's only, very minor, highlight as 15 Fieldfares flew west, my first of the autumn.

After that the tit flocks revealed only tits and at least six Goldcrests, although hearing them is one thing, seeing them while the hedgerows remain in leaf is extremely difficult. A Marsh Tit was the only other notable bird recorded.

I logged 19 Redwings, 10 Chaffinches, 28 Goldfinches, 18 Skylarks, 15 Long-tailed Tits, a handful of Siskins and Redpolls, 70 Linnets, and 70 Stock Doves. Well you've got to do something to keep awake.

The pool has resumed its decline towards a puddle, while the flash field produced 47 Teal, two Green Sandpipers, and a Snipe.

I'll leave you with a couple of token birds to prove I had my camera with me.

Reed Bunting
Common Buzzard

No comments:

Post a Comment