Thursday 10 November 2016

Thursday November 10

A bit of a false start this morning when I suddenly realised I was supposed to be attending a doctor's appointment. So it was 11.00am before I finally started birding. Sunny intervals, showers, and a light westerly breeze.

The most notable unusual birds seen were a very distant flock of 62 Golden Plovers heading south over Studley. Redpolls were present with the other finches, but it was hard to get good views. Once again the ones I saw well seemed to be Lessers. The hedgerows also sheltered about 100 Redwings and 60 Fieldfares.

One encouraging sign came at the flash field, which contained plenty of water and an impressive 103 Teal, 36 Mallard, five Wigeon, two Lapwings, and a Green Sandpiper. Actually all the pools showed signs that water-levels are recovering.

Pigeons were well in evidence with about 200 Woodpigeons and 50 Stock Doves flying out of the stubble field. At least one Stonechat was present at Netherstead.

Reed Bunting
Yellowhammer
So as far as my year-list goes, I remain stuck on 117 (118 with Feral Pigeon), which is equal to my three best previous years. Something of a glass ceiling which I seem unable to break through.

No comments:

Post a Comment