Sunday 15 January 2017

Sunday January 15

Due to steady drizzle all morning Dave bailed out, while I decided to watch England's innings in the first One Day International against India.

Thus it was late morning before I ventured out. For a while the rain abated, but there seemed to be few small birds about. Eventually the first year-tick flew into view as a Lesser Black-backed Gull drifted north, quickly followed by a Black-headed Gull. In fact when I reached the flash field I discovered at least 30 of the latter, a much better count than is usual. Also present were 18 Lapwings and a Green Sandpiper.

Black-headed Gulls and Lapwings
The ducks were very nervy, but I counted 10 Wigeon and at least 65 Teal, while two Snipe were just visible at the back of the nearest flash.

As the rain returned I headed back, seeing a Raven, two Meadow Pipits, 78 Greylag Geese, and two Canada Geese before I climbed into the car to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment