Thursday 11 May 2017

Thursday May 11

A sunny morning with a very light south-easterly breeze.

I concentrated on survey work this morning, but once I had completed my transect I was able to check the flash field. The most obvious change was the reappearance of water in the nearest flash. This has nothing directly to do with precipitation and is rather a combination of the spring which feeds the field and some manipulation of the water table by the farmer. The result was a disappearance of the mud, although there was enough of an edge for a Little Ringed Plover. The pair of Gadwalls has returned, conditions now being much more to their liking.

Moving on to the pool, there was no sign of the Grasshopper Warbler, although it could easily still be present. Two pairs of Tufted Ducks were present, and the Greenshank has relocated to the edge of the pool.

Greenshank
The pair of Canada Geese now have three goslings.

Finally the sandy bank near Netherstead did at least provide me with an insect tick.

Gooden's Nomad Bee
The Gooden's Nomad Bee is a parasite of several species of andrena bees, although apparently not so much of Yellow-legged Mining Bee which is the species I had understood predominated at the site. perhaps there is another andrena bee waiting to be discovered.

I also noticed my first Small Heath of the year, but it didn't land. I left at 10.15am, earlier than usual, so didn't spend any time looking for damselflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment