Friday 1 September 2017

Friday September 1

I can't decide if I like September or not. If I lived anywhere on the coast, or was a regular at a large inland reservoir I would definitely like it. Migration is in full swing and there is the promise of rarities from all points of the compass.

But I birdwatch here. On a little patch of farmland in the middle of the country with a few drying pools. Experience suggests that I may struggle.

This morning was warm and sunny, with just the faintest whiff of a south-westerly breeze. A couple of Meadow Pipits headed south and I spent an enjoyable half hour watching a large tit flock in Netherstead plantation. The flock included several Chiffchaffs, a couple of Willow Warblers, a couple of Whitethroats and a Blackcap.

Willow Warbler
The House Martins and Swallows gave alarm calls to alert me to the presence of a Hobby, which made a successful kill at the edge of the plantation canopy. A little later on, a Peregrine was also getting mobbed by hirundines.

I moved on to the flash field, where things were pretty much the same as last week, 16 (possibly 17) Green Sandpipers, a Greenshank, a Black-tailed Godwit, 11 Teal, four Snipe, and half a dozen Lapwings.

And that was about it. The jury is still out as far as September is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment