Sunday 19 November 2017

Sunday November 19

No companions today, a fine sunny morning with hardly a breathe of wind.

I decided to follow the usual circuit, but soon deviated to check out the cause of a cacophony of alarm calls coming from the hedge behind Netherstead Hall. Eventually I flushed a sleepy Tawny Owl from its hiding place.

Back on track, the pylons produced a young Peregrine which flew before I could get a shot of the whole bird (you were nearly treated to a headless image, a steel girder obscuring it's noggin). Fortunately the bird found itself being mobbed by crows and returned to the pylon where I had another go.

Immature Peregrine
An adult Mute Swan flew by before I reached the flash field. Here I counted seven Snipe, 25 Teal, five Wigeon, and two Shovelers.

On my return I spent a long time trying to photograph a Marsh Tit which had found a source of grubs in some moss on one of the ash trees.

Marsh Tit
A short distance away I found a small party of Siskins extracting seeds from alders.

Siskin
Finally, there were a few Lesser Redpolls in the field by Stapenhill Wood, where two Bramblings landed briefly before disappearing.

Lesser Redpoll



No comments:

Post a Comment