Sunday 29 July 2018

Sunday July 29

A foul morning of driving rain and a fresh southerly meant that I would be birding alone.

In these conditions there is really only one option. Head for the flash field and hope the weather has dropped something in.

Having not been here all week it is impossible to know whether the family party of five Shelducks had just arrived, but I suspect not.

Shelduck
As is typical with these late summer appearances they comprised four juveniles and an adult female.

If I had one banker I was hoping for in these conditions, it was Sand Martin. They didn't disappoint, and at least four birds were the only hirundines over the flash pool all morning. Seeing them is one thing, photographing them another.

Sand Martin
Three Snipe flew to the furthest flash, while at least five Green Sandpipers mingled with about 60 Lapwings and eight Teal. A flock of 60 Starlings gathered on wires beyond the flash field.

Lapwings
As the rain intensified I had a quick look at Kingfisher Pool and found it occupied by an adult and three well-grown, but un-fledged, Mute Swans. The fact that a pair of Mute Swans can breed here unnoticed doesn't say much for my thoroughness this year.

Not at all pleased to see me
The trudge back to the car into to the driving rain was an experience I wouldn't want to repeat too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment