Friday 24 May 2019

Garden Moths - Winyates East

My first trapping session for a fortnight produced a modest 23 Moths (including two unidentified micros).

Due to the gap since my last effort I recorded some pretty common moths as new for the year: Small Dusty Wave, Heart and Dart (nine), Pale Tussock (two), and Common Marbled Carpet (two), plus a slightly less common one; Vine's Rustic.

The highlight though was my first Puss Moth. A mightily impressive moth.

Puss Moth
Also in the trap were the usual collection of flies, a Common Wasp, an alarmingly large Hornet, and a Tree Bumblebee (the first bee I have ever caught).

Hornet
I have also taken charge of my new moth trap. It was a bit fiddly to put together, and field trials will begin as soon as I get the battery charged.

The plan will be to start discovering what moths occur at Morton Bagot.

No comments:

Post a Comment