Wednesday 25 March 2020

Still being good - exploring the garden

This won't last, but for now I am sticking to the garden.

The birding highlight, I suppose, was counting three pairs of Buzzards circling overhead at around 11.00, with possibly a seventh bird floating in from the south.

The local House Sparrows are much happier when I am not in the garden.

House Sparrow
No new butterflies appeared, so I was forced to look at bees. I find photographing bees extremely tricky because they are so busy, as they should be.

Red Mason Bees are attracted to the Rosemary outside the kitchen window, and today I also recorded a Common Carder Bee, and what I suspect was a male Hairy-footed Flower Bee, although that one wouldn't keep still.

Red Mason Bee
Probably a Hairy-footed Flower Bee
Another familiar garden resident to turn up today was a Dark-edged Bee Fly. This parasitic species is bad news for the local solitary bees, but a very nice looking creature.

Dark-edged Bee Fly
The self-isolating ended when I was obliged to go shopping. Waitrose in Alcester being particularly well organised I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment