Thursday 26 March 2020

Thursday March 26 - waders at last (and a good moth)

This morning I went to Morton Bagot for my permissible walk in the countryside. Apart from seeing a few folk at the horse barns when I got back to Netherstead, the self-isolation was complete.

It was another sunny morning, and eventually became almost warm. The visit got off to a good start when I heard a snatch of Blackcap song from the hedge by the horse pasture. Unfortunately the bird failed to repeat the burst of song or to show itself. The field contained at least 23 Fieldfares, a Redwing, 17 Meadow Pipits, and 19 Starlings. Later in the day about 50 - 60 thrush-sized birds flew out, and looked to be mostly Fieldfares so my original count is likely to be an underestimate.

Chiffchaffs were well in evidence, and I had logged at least nine by the time I completed the circuit.

Chiffchaff
As the sun came up I started to see butterflies quite regularly, and eventually recorded three Peacocks, and six Small Tortoiseshells. The only Brimstone was seen as I headed home. So in terms of species Morton Bagot was no more diverse than our garden.

Peacock
I reached the pool field and discovered that a pair of Mute Swans have arrived, the first of the year. Shortly afterwards a Little Egret flew in and joined the swans on the small top pool.

Mute Swans
Little Egret
It makes a nice change to see the egret at reasonably close quarters, and it reminds me that Mike Inskip was here on Saturday and saw two Little Egrets in the flash field, whereas I had drawn a blank.

Moving on to the flash field, I was pleased to find plenty of birds. To begin with, at least 40 Snipe erupted from the centre of the field and soon pitched down to disappear among the sedges. I could see at least 15 Teal, mainly on the furthest flash, but all the action was on the nearest flash. A Redshank started proceedings off by flying across and landing at the far side near the Snipe.

Redshank
I hadn't noticed at the time, but if you zoom in on the photograph you'll see that it has a BTO metal ring on its left leg. I wonder where it acquired it?

Shortly afterwards I saw that the two Little Ringed Plovers were present again, and then spotted the first Green Sandpiper of the year. I normally see them from the end of January, so I'm very pleased one has finally arrived.

Green Sandpiper
Unfortunately it chose to remain at the very back of the flash. A quick scan failed to record any grebes, but as it happened I returned to investigate an odd wader call (could have been anything) and instead discovered there were now two Little Grebes present.

Little Grebes
At the Kingfisher Pool there was no sign of the Kingfisher Dave and I saw on Sunday, but I was very taken by the catkins dangling from the large tree behind the pool. Botany is not a strong subject for me, but I have subsequently worked out that the tree is either a Black Poplar or a hybrid Poplar.

The catkins
The tree
I carried on along the Morton Brook, pausing to photograph a Small Tortoiseshell before reaching Stapenhill Wood.

Small Tortoiseshell
Generally my visits peter out after this point, but today something special was in store. As I walked around the ridge field flushing one or two more butterflies, I kicked up a smaller one. In fact, I quickly realised it was a moth. I guessed what it would be (although I couldn't remember the name at first). It landed on a dock (or something) and drooped there long enough for me to get a record shot of the moth in question, an Orange Underwing.

Orange Underwing
My intention had been to study the moth properly and to try for a better image. But by the time I looked again it had gone. I spent the next twenty minutes in a futile attempt to find it.

The problem is that there are two very similar species in Warwickshire. One is locally distributed, and the other, Light Orange Underwing, a good deal rarer. I believe I can see a diagnostic orange indentation into the dark surround of the left underwing (as you look at the moth) which identifies this as the commoner species. Also, although both are day-flying in March and April, Orange Underwing is associated with birch (there are plenty in the ridge field) and Light Orange Underwing with aspen (absent as far as I know).

I do not know whether Orang Underwing has been recorded here before, but I certainly haven't seen one here, or anywhere else before.

So there you are, an excellent way to self isolate and keep ticking over.

No comments:

Post a Comment