Friday 3 April 2015

Friday April 3

After being grounded all morning due to persistent drizzle I finally ventured out for a "quick look" at Morton Bagot Flash en route to Waitrose.

As is so often the case early optimism that the weather might have dropped something in, buoyed on arrival by several singing Chiffchaffs, was snuffed out as I got to the flashes to discover it was same old, same old. Two Redshanks, two Green Sandpipers, six Teal, and about eight Lapwings.

However, salvation was at hand as I spotted a familiar outline on a branch of one of the oak trees.

Little Owl
Phew, I was just starting to worry that I wasn't going to see a Little Owl this year. With this success under my belt I checked out the pool, no sign of the Little Grebes, and then noticed at least 70 Fieldfares with a few Starlings and Redwings in the hedge across the field. Finally a Redpoll flew over as I headed back to the car.

Next came a brief stop on rival territory. At Haselor scrape, in addition to the usual Teal and Lapwings there was a taste of summer. A Little Ringed Plover. I just need it to head for Morton Bagot next.

No comments:

Post a Comment