Sunday 20 December 2015

Sunday December 20

A bright sunny morning. I haven't said that for a while. I arrived a tad late and it therefore probably served me right that Dave and I were well short of the pool when all the wildfowl got up because an earlier bird was trying to catch the worm. The earlier bird was Jan and her lurcher, but as far as we could see the worm was just a pile of Mallards and Greylag Geese. Jan confirmed she hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary and joined us on our circuit.

At the flash field I gazed wistfully at the four Grey Herons. The Upton Warren Great White Egret is still refusing to join them. Instead we counted three Green Sandpipers, while high above us a flock of 72 Lapwings wheeled around.

The walk back was somewhat uninspiring. A dozen Siskins flew by, and a handful of Lesser Redpolls were feeding in the usual place.

Lesser Redpoll
Jan headed off, and Dave and I returned to our cars without troubling the scorers further.

Post-script: After lunch Lyn and I were discussing how to spend the afternoon. We could go to Webbs Garden Centre, she suggested. Webbs at Upton Warren? I replied innocently.

You've probably rumbled me by now.

Just a stone's throw from Webbs
It was too far away for me to start lobbing rocks at it, but what's Upton got that Morton Bagot hasn't? Only lots of water, reedbeds, fish.... Coots, and a Great White Egret.


No comments:

Post a Comment