Friday 26 February 2021

Friday February 26 - Smash and grab raid

 Events have conspired against us this week, and I only had time for a brief visit to see if I could find anything new.

The weather couldn't have been nicer, sunny with hardly a breath of wind. The late start meant that I soon became aware of a few bees buzzing past, and was pleased to see my first butterfly of the year. Unusually this was a Comma. Although this is an emerging hibernator, I can think of three other species which normally appear first.

Comma

As far as birds are concerned, I added three species to my year list, but it has to be said that they were pretty bog standard. They were; three Wigeon, a Coot, and a Cormorant. Unfortunately they managed to be respectively distant, hiding behind vegetation, and flying over (distantly) spoiling any chances of anything but miserably poor photos.

Also present in the flash field were two Shelducks, 34 Teal, 11 Mallard, two Canada Geese, a Snipe, three Lapwings, 10 Lesser Black-backed Gull, and a Herring Gull

Wigeon and Teal

Cormorant

Further evidence of movement came from the complete absence of any Black-headed Gulls, and a reduction of Stonechats down to a single female.

A pair of Mistle Thrushes and a female Greenfinch back near the church were also noteworthy.

Earlier this week I put my moth trap out in the garden on the last mild evening (24 Feb), but it was probably too windy and I only caught one moth, a Hebrew Character.

Hebrew Character


No comments:

Post a Comment