Tuesday 27 April 2021

Tuesday April 27 - twitching.

 When someone makes the effort to phone you about a rare bird it is very bad form to stick to whatever plans you had for the day. The correct approach is to grab your optics, kiss the wife, and rush out of the house within seconds.

Today I got a call from Dave, followed almost immediately by one from Mike W. There is a Bonaparte's Gull at Upton Warren. I have a pretty decent Upton Warren list, and this American bird was a first for Worcestershire. It was a no brainer, but still I dithered.

There is no access to the reserve at present, except for the two wardens who presumably found it. Access to the Moors Pool at Upton Warren is along the public footpath on the wrong side of the river Salwarpe, so views could be poor.

Anyway after 30 minutes I went for it.

I arrived to find two birders present, struggling to find the right bird. A helpful phone call from Mike W in the hide to another birder who was arriving behind me pointed us in the right direction. It was flying around the far side of the pool.

It was actually quite easy to pick up in flight, its white underside primaries an absolute give away even though it was a first-winter bird. A fraction smaller than the many Black-headed Gulls with a light, jinking flight recalling Little Gull. The main problem was that it kept disappearing behind willows in the foreground.

By the time I got my camera out to attempt a record shot, it had landed on an island. Cue dodgy record shots. 

Bonaparte's Gull (middle gull)

Bonaparte's Gull (small black bill showing in this shot)

It was clear I wasn't going to get any better views, so I headed off.

In true twitching style I made no attempt to look at anything else, but was vaguely aware of singing Cetti's Warblers, and Blackcaps, and watched an Oystercatcher flying over.

I just need the Bonaparte's Gull to follow a few Black-headed Gulls to Morton Bagot. Its only 15 miles, you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment