Friday 16 July 2021

How not to be a twitcher

 I've become very bad at twitching lately.

Since the start of the year I have failed to see a Pied-billed Grebe (suppressed), a Lesser Yellowlegs (dithered too long), a Blyth's Reed Warbler (personal circumstances), and a Montagu's Harrier (heard about it too late). 

Yesterday I added to that list when I completely failed to check RBA, Birdguides, or Twitter, all of which were loudly proclaiming the presence of a Caspian Tern at RSPB Middleton. It seems to have headed off during the evening having remained eminently twitchable all day.

I will admit to having successfully twitched a Red-flanked Bluetail, a Bonaparte's Gull, a Melodious Warbler, and a Red-backed Shrike (on my own patch for goodness sake). The one thing these birds have in common is their proximity to our house. It seems my world is getting smaller, 10 miles is about my limit.

So it's a bit ironic that I travelled over 10 miles in the opposite direction to the Caspian Tern to complete my Turtle Dove survey yesterday. Spoiler alert, I didn't see any.

One the way back I checked Haselor Scrape, and Morton Bagot for signs of change. There were none. The Avocets and Green Sandpipers are still there, and Teal numbers have risen to the dizzying heights of four.

Tonight the moth trap goes out. I won't have to leave the garden, so that's all right then.

No comments:

Post a Comment