Sunday 29 August 2021

Sunday August 29 - Persistence pays off

 So another attempt to find something at Morton Bagot. The date is perfect, the conditions mostly cloudy with a light northerly again. 

For the first hour it was pleasant enough, I counted 11 Chiffchaffs, two Blackcaps, a Whitethroat, and a Whinchat. I was jumped up at and slobbered all over by a fifteen month old labrador called Arthur. Things could only get better.

When I reached the flash field they did. The pot-boiler was a Gadwall, the first this year, swimming with 27 Mallard on the nearest flash. I didn't exactly punch the sky, but a year tick is a year tick.

Gadwall

I could see the usual few Teal and Snipe, plus a Green Sandpiper and at least 11 Black-headed Gulls. Nothing to suggest what was about to happen.

I moved on to my other viewpoint under the trees. On arrival I noticed a bunch of Teal swimming in the middle of the flash. Odd, I thought. Then the reason became clear, a cream-crown Marsh Harrier was floating over the sedge. I lost it before even getting my binoculars on it, but I needn't have worried. It reappeared and went on to treat me to hours of enjoyment as it periodically hunted the terrified waterfowl.



It frequently landed in plain sight

The dark chocolate brown plumage, perfect fresh wing feathers, and limited amount of cream on the forewings all pointed to it being a juvenile bird.

I was even tempted to take some video clips. In the first one (see below) it is standing at the furthest flash and nothing seems to happen, but keep watching when the nearby Grey Heron starts to get curious. In the second, it's closer but listen for the sigh as it becomes obscured by a tree.



Anyway, one very useful result of having a Marsh Harrier hunting over the field is that birds you didn't know were there suddenly appear. I counted 67 Teal and 45 Lapwings before becoming preoccupied by the discovery of a Garganey among the Teal.

Garganey with Teal

If you're not sure which one it is, it's third from the right. The one with the hint of a little white eyebrow.  With the birds very unsettled I was tempted to take a quick bit of jerky video to give the impression of what it was like.



I started with the Lapwings, but then the Teal appeared. Once I got home it occurred to me that the Garganey should be in with them, and eventually I found it after scrolling through in slow motion. I'm not known for my ability with technology, so I am very proud of the fact I worked out how to take a zoomed in screenshot showing the Garganey in flight. Look for the one with the two white wing-bars.

Garganey in flight

I managed to send some texts before getting enough reception to call Mike Inskip. He turned up within the hour and I went back with him to see the bird again. I have since heard from Sam McVie that the Marsh Harrier was still present at 15.15. 

On my walk back to the car I discovered that at least three Whinchats were present.

I'll admit that I have been a bit disappointed by the lack of decent waders here this year (I eventually saw four Green Sandpipers and a few Snipe thanks to the Marsh Harrier), but when you get a day like this it really doesn't matter.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Rich, meant to mention before, I never see video clips when you mention them in a blog-post. May be my phone, but... Cheers Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I post them on Youtube and lift them from there. Not sure what you need to do to see them.

      Delete
  2. Not sure. I'd assumed there'd be a link of some sort, but I can see nothing 😔

    ReplyDelete