Monday 1 November 2021

Monday November 1 - loosening the shackles

 Sunday morning was a complete wash-out, a good two hours of heavy rain causing me to postpone my visit until today. Mind you, the fresh westerly wind this morning made the birding almost as difficult.

I've decided to tweak my area of interest. Morton Bagot will still be visited, but I have expanded my "patch" to an area formed by a 10 kilometre circle centred (almost) on my house. In the spirit of the change I therefore wandered around Bannam's Wood this morning before nipping down to the flooded flash to see if anything had turned up.

Obviously a near gale is not ideal for woodland watching, but there were a few calmer spots. There were no surprises, but it was nice to locate a pair of Marsh Tits, one of which played hide and seek with me.

Marsh Tit

Here are a few woodland scenes.


Fungi on a fallen tree

A Spindle Tree in flower

Back at the flash field the flooding meant that the only wildfowl were on the furthest flash, but did include at least 67 Teal, and a pair of Wigeon.

My penultimate moth trapping session of the year on Friday produced just one moth, a Yellow-line Quaker. This was the first since two in 2018, so I was reasonably happy with that.

Yellow-line Quaker

I actually flushed a moth in Bannams Wood this morning, but was unable to see where it landed. I suspected it was a November Moth ag as it looked quite grey and fluttery like a geometer, but there was no chance of an identification.


No comments:

Post a Comment