Wednesday 29 December 2021

Wednesday December 29 - kicking my heels

My Christmas break has been disrupted by toothache and the difficulty of getting a dentist to do anything about it, and the saga is ongoing.

Fortunately I do have a couple of items to share, both from yesterday. Tony went to Morton Bagot for a wander around  in the rain, counting 40 Teal and 40 Lapwings at the flash field, and a Stonechat, two Snipe, and three Jack Snipe in the marsh. Speaking of which, he kindly sent a photo from his phone which I have cropped to show here.


If you're struggling to see it, the Jack Snipe is roughly centre right, head and bill poking out of the grass over a patch of water. The original photograph covered a wider area and for about 10 minutes all I could see was grass. I thought he was having me on.

I stopped moth trapping at the end of October, but last night left the vestibule light on for a couple of hours and found two Winter Moths when I checked it a couple of hours later. This is a very common species with antifreeze in its blood allowing it to fly in cold conditions...or on a balmy winter night such as we are experiencing lately.

Anyway, the painkillers are working well and I should be out again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment