Tuesday 3 May 2022

Tuesday May 3 - woodland birding

 Grey and cool again. I decided to go to one of the HOEF woods hoping for my first Cuckoo of the year. The ringers had heard one there at the weekend, but I was not as fortunate. 

On the other hand I did see and hear my first singing Garden Warbler of the year, #LocalBigYear tick number 119. It flew back into cover as soon as my camera appeared, so no photo. The bluebells were spectacular so I used it for that instead.


Other birds recorded there included a singing Willow Warbler, double-figure counts of both Chiffchaff, and Blackcap, and a territorial pair of Ravens.

After that I had some errands to run, and decided to have a quick look at Haselor scrape. There was plenty of mud, and a pair of Little Ringed Plovers had it all to themselves. Determined to photograph something I aimed my camera at a Whitethroat singing from the top of an oak tree.

Whitethroat

Meanwhile the ringers have caught a celebrity at a site near Studley. The key point about the Sedge Warbler referred to is that it was bearing a French ring. 

Monsieur le Sedge Warbler

It was part of a catch of 42 birds including 15 Sedge Warblers and four Reed Warblers. I believe that they will be joining us for the Alldayer on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment