Wednesday 26 July 2023

Wednesday July 26 - time to wean myself off identification apps?

 I'm going right off tech. Around this time last year I was introduced to an identification app called Obsidentify. It came with plenty of warnings about over-reliance on it, but once you start using you think you can handle it.

Come the moth season I found myself checking everything using the app, even when I knew perfectly well what I was looking at. It was always gratifying to have that 100% certain (or anything over 90%) backing up your identification. 

The trouble is, it makes you lazy. Why trawl through hundreds of images looking for a match when app tells you straight away? This week, some sobering app misidentifications have shaken my faith.

Tuesday night was too cold for mothing really, but I needed a moth fix and I ended up with an OK figure of 74 moths of 26 species. It was mostly species I'd seen already seen this year but I still found myself using the tech on obvious things like Canary-shouldered Thorn.

Canary-shouldered Thorn

Now to be fair to the app, the first properly small micro I looked at would have taken me a very long time to work out. Also, I should have been mindful of its 75% certainty. Nevertheless it really did look like a Plum Fruit Moth when I checked the books.

Plum Fruit Moth Grapholita funebrana...or is it?

It was only later that I realised there was a lookalike from which it can only be distinguished under a microscope. Never mind, it probably is one.

But things took a turn for the worse when I potted a rather worn moth which didn't ring any bells at all. Lazily I Obsidentified it, and was told it was definitely Crambus perlella. This is a fairly common grass moth, but I had only ever caught one before. I let it go, and moved on. Later, I checked the photograph and wondered how come it was that. It didn't even look like a grass moth. I sent the image to an on-line expert and he confirmed my worse fears. It was not Crambus anything, but was a worn Phycitodes species which could not be identified from the crap photo I'd sent him. He didn't actually say that, but I'm sure he was thinking it.

Not a clue.

On the bright side I did see three Black Arches and no technology was needed.

Black Arches


But it gets worse.

Today, after a rather uninspiring walk around Morton Bagot (Kingfisher new for the year, hardly any Green Sandpipers, an adult Peregrine and not a lot else) I joined Leigh K to help her with any tricky identifications on a butterfly transect at College Wood.

The adult Peregrine

Leigh was particularly concerned about distinguishing Essex and Small Skippers. I was pretty confident we would find some, having seen at least one at Morton Bagot earlier. The task was to prove harder than expected. A couple of good candidates was seen, and I made the call. Then I took another photograph, and backed down. They are not easy, but I was quite sure one at least was a Small Skipper.

Orange at the tip of otherwise black antennae tips, Small Skipper surely.

When I got back to the car I decided to run them past Obsidentify. The photo shown above was described as 100% Essex Skipper. What? So back home I checked on-line to see if I could find anything to support the app. I couldn't.

So apart from dodgy Skippers we saw relatively few butterflies as the cloud cover increased, but did at least see a very smart Small Copper.

Small Copper

No need for any technical support this time, or perhaps ever again!

Full list: Small Skipper 4, Small White 12, Small Copper 1, Red Admiral 5, Small Tortoiseshell 1, Peacock 8, Comma 1, Speckled Wood 11, Gatekeeper 13, Meadow Brown 15, Ringlet 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment