Thursday 23 November 2023

Thursday November 23 - Mockley Wood

Strictly speaking this post covers two localities on two days, but they couldn't have been more different in terms of quality.

Briefly, on a grey Tuesday morning I walked from Astwood Bank to Astwood Court before bearing right and trudging across fields of intensively cropped sheep pasture as far as the outskirts of Hunt End. It was pretty uninspiring, Corvids and Woodpigeons aplenty, and not a lot else. 

Moving swiftly on, this sunny Thursday morning I decided to park in Ullenhall and walk to Mockley Wood and back. I had only ever been there once before, and hadn't had much to show for it. This time, it was a whole lot better.

The approach to the wood had me almost losing my wellies in gloopy cattle-churned mud, but shortly afterwards I found a field of rough grassland which contained a Stonechat. I don't see many away from Morton Bagot, so that was encouraging.

Once I reached the wood I soon discovered it was largely out of bounds. Several signs referred to regular shooting, and it was clear they didn't want you in there. Fortunately no-one was there today and anyway the footpath skirted the wood and even went through a small section of it. Odd Siskins and a Redpoll called as they flew around, and at the north edge I first flushed a Woodcock, and then witnessed a calling Common Crossbill flying low just above the trees and into the wood. This was my third in local woods in the last three weeks, but once again it was pretty much heard only!

The path took me to a narrow lane at Forde Hall where I turned to head back. A little way along I discovered a Marsh Tit feeding in some oaks. They remain remarkably local and hard to find, so I felt very lucky.

Marsh Tit

While I was watching it, beyond the crown of the tree, I became aware that the sky was full of Golden Plovers. They were high up but swirling around, and were clearly not simply passing through. On one side of the lane was a ploughed field, and on the other some young arable crop. I am guessing that I may have inadvertently disturbed them from one or the other. As I tried to count them I soon realised there were hundreds of them. My estimate kept rising and eventually settled at approximately 220. 

The Golden Plovers

Most of the flock

I have no idea whether this is a regular stamping ground for them. Perhaps they are the flock sometimes seen at Box Trees, or maybe the ones south of Studley. It absolutely made my day.

Here are some images of Mockley Wood. The south end contains a lot of beech, but the northern section has a fair amount of conifer (Larch and Pine). 




What a shame there is no open access to the whole wood. 

Finally, I know virtually nothing about fungi, but was sufficiently impressed by some fruiting cones beside the lane to have a go at identifying them. 

Trooping Funnel (or maybe not)

I think I may be back here before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment