Tuesday 20 February 2024

Tuesday February 20 - Birding by proxy

 Unfortunately Lyn still requires my full time assistance and until we find a way to alleviate the situation I am unable to go birding (unless its a quick dash to see something less usual). Fortunately I'm getting plenty of messages from friends to keep me updated. I'm birding by proxy.

Tony and Leigh have been to Morton Bagot in the last few days, ringing a Woodcock on the 15th, and catching 38 birds (13 retraps) on 17th. These were mainly the usual fare but included a youngish Sparrowhawk.

Second-year male Sparrowhawk - Tony and Leigh

On February 18 they ringed at dusk and caught four Reed Buntings, also observing several Toads which are now out of hibernation.

Female Reed Bunting

They reported seeing three Tufted Ducks and the usual Barn Owl, the latter being seen by Mike Inskip yesterday. Mike had also been to Morgrove Coppice where he saw a Woodcock and a Red Kite. John Coombes has let me know that he has seen a pair of Alexandrine Parakeets at Kinwarton for the first time this year, and then a juvenile which appeared from within the tree suggesting that they bred successfully last year.

As for me, the lack of birding is an opportunity to do more mothing. Normally I do very little in February, but last night I just completed my fifth session and it proved well worth it. My count of 30 moths included 24 Common Quakers and also three Hebrew Character (nfy), a Small Quaker (nfy), a Twin-spotted Quaker (nfy, first since 2020), and best of all my first ever Small Brindled Beauty.

Small Brindled Beauty


Twin-spotted Quaker

Hebrew Character

Small Quaker

The Small Brindled Beauty is described as uncommon and local in Warwickshire, so I was very pleased to get one. They are noticeably smaller than the more usual Brindled Beauty (which I haven't seen yet this year), and fly from mid February (early March is typical for Brindled Beauty). 

I feel I'm making the best of it, but will hopefully be back in the field before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment