Sunday 21 July 2024

Sunday July 21 - Morton Bagot

 After a week of birding abstinence I was keen to make the most of the weekend. Saturday dawned dull and overcast and remained that way all day. The highlight for me was finally meeting Redditch birder Mike Holley on site.

Mike was very happy with his morning and has kindly shared some of his photos. The most interesting was his shot of a Red Kite which I believe shows a juvenile bird. This is good circumstantial evidence that they have bred in Bannams Wood this year.

Red Kite - Mike Holley

He also saw three juvenile Stonechats before we headed for the nearest flash which now looks in great nick. We counted the Green Sandpipers and found a newly arrived Teal. Earlier I had heard a Grasshopper Warbler singing from the Chat field, but chose not to try to see it.

One of the juvenile Stonechats

Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker - Mike Holley

This morning I returned in bright sunshine and hadn't got very for before discovering a Garden Warbler, a good sign. This was my first here this year, the site doesn't yet attract them regularly.

Garden Warbler

I reached the nearest flash and was pleased to find there were even more Green Sandpipers than yesterday. I counted 16 individuals plus a Little Ringed Plover, only the second here (and my first) this year. The Teal was still there and also the usual two Little Egrets.

Large raptors were very much in evidence. At least seven Common Buzzards and three Red Kites, Mike's juvenile and two adults.

My favourite moment of the day came on the walk back along the Morton Brook. I had just stopped to try to photograph a probable Essex Skipper when a small bird leapt out of the grass and flew past me calling a loud "tick" repeatedly. I knew immediately that it was a Grasshopper Warbler and having not actually clapped eyes on any of this year's singing birds, I was keen to see it well. As it turned out all I had to do was stand still and watch as it approached me, calling constantly.

 Grasshopper Warbler

You'll notice that it has been ringed, presumably by Tony K this year. I don't know why it was so obliging, but I suppose it is likely that there were recently fledged juveniles nearby.

In the end I didn't confirm any of the Small Skippers were definitely Essex Skippers, but I did see my first Southern Hawker dragonfly of the year.

A pretty good weekend's patch birding.

I nearly forgot, I also added a common micro-moth to my very limited site moth list when I noticed a Carcina quercana in a hedge. Unfortunately my attempt to take its picture was an abject failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment