Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Tuesday October 6 - Foster's Green

 In a departure from the norm, yesterday I visited one of the very few Worcestershire Trust reserves to be found within the Circle.


It doesn't look that exciting does it? However, its unassuming appearance disguises a wealth of wildlife. Not birds particularly, but plants. 

At this time of year most are underground or in a vegetative state, but there were a few autumn specialities to find. My target, though I didn't find it, was a crocus-like flower called Meadow Saffron. To be fair I hadn't a clue where to look, but the noticeboard assured me it should be there. Maybe I was too late (or too early).

Fortunately other plants I hadn't seen before were available.

Devil's-bit Scabious

The other plant highlighted on the board was Devil's-bit Scabious, and I eventually found a single flower spike.

I'm rather new to botany. Previous attempts have tended to start in February and peter out by the end of April, so I have to say I'm finding it hard. My phone app helps a bit, but is rather unreliable. At least it cuts out leafing through pages and pages of a field guide trying to match what you are looking at with an image.

Here are some plants I have identified using a mixture of the app, field guides, and the excellent Nature Spot website.

Pepper-saxifrage (slightly gone over)

Rough Hawkbit

Lesser Hawkbit

Agrimony (in seed)

I plan to come back in spring, and again in summer when the place should be transformed into an oasis of olde England set against a backdrop of green "improved" pasture which modern day Britain has become.

I did see and hear a few birds while I was staring at my feet; Skylarks and Meadow Pipits were going over, a Blackcap and a Goldcrest called in the hedge, and a Siskin also called as it headed south.


No comments:

Post a Comment