Sunday 9 September 2018

Sunday September 9

After opting not to take part in the West Midlands Alldayer (partly because I'd thought it was going to rain all day - pathetic I know) I was on site for my usual Sunday morning slot. It was a rather cloudy start, but soon brightened up. A light to moderate south-westerly was not especially encouraging.

The early signs were not good, but a Sedge Warbler which flew from the hedge by the pond was likely to be my last this year. Hirundines grew in number through the morning ending up at about 100 split 60/40 in favour of House Martins over Swallows. My first 10 Meadow Pipits of the autumn flew over the pool field and landed in the weedy field beyond.

Warblers were hard to pin down and apart from a few Chiffchaffs and the aforementioned Sedge Warbler, I recorded just a single Lesser Whitethroat. A couple of other tackers failed to reveal their identity though.

At the Flash field 192 Greylag Geese dominated, but the furthest flash did contain a single Shoveler, standing out from the dross. I wasn't sure if it was new for the year, but it appears I did see one in March.

Shoveler with Greylags
Waders remain disappointing; just four Green Sandpipers and 21 Snipe, while the Shoveler was accompanied by 34 Teal. One oddity was a Little Grebe bobbing up and down in the deepest part of the nearest Flash; the first of those since the spring.

The sun came out on the walk back, and I found myself looking at insects. Small Coppers seem to be having a better year, I saw four without really trying. Several second generation Small Heaths were on the wing along with several Small Whites and a Speckled Wood. One patch of nettles was being devoured by a host of Peacock caterpillars.

Peacock caterpillar apparently unaware of the large Spider to his right.
Dragonflies comprised a few mature Common Darters and several Migrant Hawkers, one of which was kind enough to pose for me.

Migrant Hawker
I'll be back with the Richards on Friday, but judging by the bounty on offer today, we'll probably be picking blackberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment