Sunday 27 January 2019

Sunday January 27

After a late start I found myself playing catch-up, literally, as I marched from the car to reach Dave at the Flash field.

He had kicked up a Jack Snipe and a Snipe from the sedges in front of the former pool, and greeted me with the news that a year-tick was available. As it turned out it took me two scans of the nearest flash to see the Coot, which promptly disappeared as soon as I got my camera out.

The weather was less than ideal, a strong north-westerly and occasional showers conspired to keep most of the birds sheltering behind the sedges. Presumably that was where the Coot had gone, and probably also accounted for an apparent lack of Teal. The only birds showing were a Shelduck, about 20 Mallard, a Little Egret, two Grey Herons, and 75 Canada Geese.

The south end was more productive for passerines. We saw the bulk of the finches and buntings down there; 155 Linnets, 80 Chaffinches, and 14 Reed Buntings.

Linnets
Meanwhile, the horse pastures played host to 78 Starlings, and on the drive out I came across a field containing another 100, plus 100 Redwings and 20 Fieldfares.

Redwings
It all felt a bit rushed though. I'll try and get up earlier next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment