Wednesday 23 January 2019

Wednesday January 23

These are tricky times, and I don't even mean Brexit. I am currently at home and not at work because Lyn is finding the morning transfers challenging (and at times impossible). My employer is allowing me to take unpaid leave, but its patience is likely to be tested if the situation remains the same for weeks on end.

I managed to get an hour on the patch just before lunch today, hoping the sunshine would cheer me up. The pool remains dry, and the flashes were frozen so no waterfowl were present, although 20 Mallard and a Gadwall were flying around in the distance. I imagine they had been flushed from the fishing pool just beyond my patch boundary.

I met a couple of dog-walkers, one of whom was the owner of Netherstead Hall. She was very nice and we chatted about birds and stuff. By the time I got back to the car I had still seen no birds of note. Then I decided to wander up to the church, searching for inspiration perhaps. What I found was a decent bird.

Grey Wagtail
Grey Wagtail is a species I expect to see here during the year, but its usually an autumn speciality. This bird is no doubt taking advantage of the mild winter, so far, and is trying to overwinter.


The church is nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment