Thursday 14 February 2019

Church Lench - Willow Tit surveying

A beautiful sunny morning once the fog had lifted. Having committed myself to surveying a few tetrads for Willow Tits over the next two years I thought I had better make a start.

The allocated area consisted of the village of Church Lench and a couple of bits of woodland. I decided that Old Yew Hill Wood looked the best bet and went to look at it, armed with my Willow Tit call playback device.

Old Yew Hill Wood
Sadly, Willow Tits have declined massively since the 1980s when they were quite easy to find in many parts of Worcestershire. I wasn't too surprised that I didn't find any, but did record a single Marsh Tit.

I had a very quick look at Morton Bagot on the way home, hoping to add some photographs of woodland birds to the year list photos. I did record Treecreepers, a Nuthatch, some Coal Tits, and a singing Marsh Tit but none allowed me a photographic opportunity. A flock of 17 lapwings and two Skylarks flew west.

No comments:

Post a Comment