Sunday 2 June 2019

Sunday June 2

Considering it is now June, today's visit was pretty productive and interesting.

Once Dave joined me we strolled along the access road past Netherstead and were surprised to hear, and briefly see, a single Lesser Redpoll. This species largely withdraws northwards in mid spring, and I am pretty sure this was the first June record here. Perhaps it was breeding not too far away.

The weather was largely cloudy, but quite warm, with a moderate to fresh south-westerly. As the morning progressed showers arrived with increasing regularity. Before then, quite a few insects were found, and these included the first couple of Large Skippers of the year.

Large Skipper
As well as several Mother Shipton moths, we flushed a Latticed Heath, my first for the site. They have probably been here for years, and I just haven't noticed them.

Latticed Heath
The star birds were waiting for us at the flash field. A pair of Avocets were feeding vigorously on the nearest flash. It seems likely that these are the birds we saw in April, although that begs the question where have they been since then? Maybe Upton Warren.

Avocets
Also on the nearest flash were two Little Ringed Plovers, a pair of Teal, and a single Gadwall. The furthest flash had another surprise in store. The pair of Shelducks was back, but they have bred successfully and were accompanied by six tiny ducklings. Obviously the views were distant.

Shelducklings
The only previous successful breeding attempt here was in 2011.

The Kingfisher Pool was excellent for damselflies including my first Blue-tailed Damselflies, and Common Blue Damselfly of the season.

Blue-tailed Damselfly
After seeing a single Broad-bodied Chaser our visit was shortened by increasingly heavy showers, so not a great deal else was discovered.

Except, I almost forgot, when I got home, just 50 metres short of our house I noticed a Red Kite circling over Geoff and Christine's roof. Annoyingly by the time I had pulled onto the drive and jumped out of the car it had disappeared. So its still not on the house list!

Another thing I forgot was two moths I saw. A Timothy Tortrix hid in the grass (very common here), and later a probable Plum Tortrix was flushed onto a leaf in a hedge where I took a somewhat unconvincing photograph of it. They were a common visitor to my garden trap last year, so I would expect it to be here.


No comments:

Post a Comment