Saturday 19 October 2019

Back garden mothing

I put the trap out last night, and soon found myself clinging to the parasol I had erected to protect it from a heavy shower. The wind had got up and I was worried the parasol would take off (as it has done in the past). Fortunately the shower passed, and I was able to remove it to allow unimpeded access for the rest of the night.

One moth landed on the kitchen window, but had disappeared by the time I found a pot. It was a largish carpet moth, and I suspected Common Marbled Carpet.

This morning I found just three moths and a caddis-fly in the trap, and the carpet moth wasn't one of them. Instead there was a Black Rustic (new for the garden), a Green-brindled Crescent, and a Large Yellow Underwing.

Black Rustic
Black Rustic was very much on the radar. While I was a member of the Warwickshire Moth Facebook Group last year (until facebook started to alarm me) I had noticed other members catching them routinely, so I am pleased to finally see this presumably widespread moth.

2 comments:

  1. Had a couple of Black Rustic in my garden this autumn. Had never seen one before 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Mike. It's quite a smart moth for a black noctuid, a first for me too.

    ReplyDelete