Wednesday 23 October 2019

Wednesday October 23

Thick fog this morning caused a very delayed start. I arrived just before noon as the fog was finally dissipating to leave a largely sunny afternoon with a very light south-easterly.

It didn't take long to find my first Fieldfares of the autumn. About 15 were discovered at the south end before heading north-east and being rediscovered in trees bordering the flash field.

Fieldfare
At least 70 Linnets were also present, along with three Yellowhammers, about eight Reed Buntings, six Stonechats, and at least 24 Meadow Pipits.

Yellowhammer
As I approached the flash field I heard the distinctive calls of a Brambling. It seemed to be coming from an oak tree, but as I searched for it I heard a Chaffinch calling in flight, and with hindsight I suspect the Brambling may actually have been flying over with the Chaffinch.

The flash field itself produced the usual 200 or so Greylag Geese, 23 Teal, a few Mallard, and five drake Shovelers. Further along the Morton Brook I discovered that the Little Grebe was still on the Kingfisher Pool, and I got a shot of it as it sheltered among the branches of a partially immersed tree.

Little Grebe
It was warm enough for quite a lot of insects to be on the wing, and these included a Migrant Hawker and a Common Darter.

Three Redpolls flew west, the first since one flew over in June.

Pretty good for an afternoon session. The main significance of the Brambling for me was it has allowed me to equal my previous highest species score for a single year. I've managed to record 117 species on at least three previous occasions. Just one needed for the record, come on you Golden Plovers, come to Morton Bagot!

No comments:

Post a Comment