Friday 27 December 2019

Friday December 27

Well with Christmas receding in the rear view mirror, I now have just a couple of birding opportunities to push the year list further ahead of my previous best.

This morning was a classic December day, cloudy and mild with a very light south-westerly. I further limited my chances with rather late start, but did at least get the scope out and went through the thrushes feeding in the paddocks. I counted 202 Redwings, five Fieldfares and a few Starlings.

Inspired by fellow blogger Gavin Haig on the south coast I decided to take my camera off auto and try some manual settings. The light was poor, so I wasn't expecting miracles.

Stonechat
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Long-tailed Tit
Roe Deer
The results were a bit mixed. I'll see what happens when the light is better.

Several feeders dotted about confirms that the ringers will be back at the weekend.

Highlights today were three Stonechats, a Peregrine, a Lesser Redpoll, 100 Greylag Geese, 82 Mallard, one Teal, and 15 Canada Geese. Gulls were thin on the ground; 17 Black-headed Gulls, and one Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Slim pickings indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment