Monday 30 December 2019

Monday December 30

I was a bit late starting again, but at least I remembered my binoculars this time. What a morning it was too. The weather was unremarkable, rather misty again with a light south-westerly. A little cooler than yesterday, but still very mild. The only indication that today might be better than usual came from news of a short-staying Bewick's Swan at Upton Warren this morning. I have a theory that whatever it is which causes birds to "turn up" it happens at multiple localities on the same day, even in winter.

I started off by counting the thrushes in the paddocks again, getting totals of 206 Redwings, 22 Fieldfares, five Meadow Pipits, and 21 Starlings. Pretty similar to last time. Clearly the lack of frost is giving these birds an earthworm bonanza.

Then I decided to walk along the road. This produced a singing Mistle Thrush, and a photogenic Treecreeper.

Treecreeper
From the edge of Bannams Wood I surveyed the landscape and spotted a flock of 80 Lapwings over the flash field. This is the first flock for several weeks.

Down at pool (once again reduced to a puddle) I heard the Water Rail calling from almost exactly where I had flushed it a fortnight ago. A single male Stonechat appeared to be unringed, so was different to the two the ringers caught yesterday.

Approaching the flash field I noticed a black and white bird, which proved to be a Shelduck. Curiously, the first Shelduck of last spring arrived at the end of December too. Scanning to the right of the Shelduck I spotted an interesting looking duck. I thought I knew what it might be, but convinced myself to wait until I got closer. Arriving at the viewing point I was delighted to find it was indeed a female Pintail. The first here since Feb 2012.

Pintail
Although there were fewer Mallard than usual, the wildfowl present was surprisingly diverse. In addition to the Pintail and the Shelduck, there was also a Teal, a Wigeon, three Shoveler, and six Grey Herons.

Shelduck
I returned to the car reflecting on an excellent year. My total has reached 122 species (not including Feral Pigeon), which comfortably beats my previous best of 118 in 2011. Firsts for the site have been Temminck's Stint, Black Tern, and Yellow-legged Gull, while Turtle Dove was a personal site tick.

Next year I plan to relax a bit, do a few different sites, but will no doubt still be visiting Morton Bagot at least once a week.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment