Sunday 15 March 2020

Sunday March 15 - a waiting game

The weather forecast looked grim last night, and Dave made an early decision to go to Marsh Lane. I decided to sit it out on the understanding that the rain would clear by late morning.

The time duly arrived and it did seem as though the worst was over so I set out. But it was not to be, and after an hour of waiting for a break in drizzle which seemed thoroughly set in, I decided to go home. My only highlight at Netherstead being a calling Grey Wagtail which I didn't see.

However, by 15.00 it really did seem to be drier and brighter so I returned. Aware that other sites had recorded a few Sand Martins and Chiffchaffs, I scrutinised any likely spot for an early Wheatear. There were none, but the Linnet flock seems to have been more robust than in recent years, and a flock of about 60 were present.

The flash field contained a Little Egret, two Shelducks, 14 Teal, six Lapwings, and eight Snipe. So still no new waders. I fear that the encroaching sedge is acting as a deterrent, although the high water-levels probably don't help either.

It was a good afternoon for seeing mammals. A Fox, at least three Muntjac, a Brown Hare, and five Roe Deer all did their best to entertain.

Frisky Roe Deer
Spring really is just around the corner, and to prove it a Chiffchaff burst into song in Stapenhill Wood. it may of course be the bird that was calling in the same spot in February, but I am happy to consider it a newly arrived migrant anyway.

Towards the end of the visit another storm seemed to be brewing, so I just had a quick count of the 24 Meadow Pipits gathering on wires above the ridge field before heading home.

Black over Bill's mother's.



No comments:

Post a Comment