Wednesday 28 October 2020

Wednesday October 28 - Spernal STW

So here's the plan. It doesn't look as though I'm going to find a Yellow-browed Warbler at Morton Bagot any time soon. Just down the road lies a sewage works, and earlier this year it hosted several wintering Chiffchaffs. This makes it a better bet for other insectivores like Yellow-broweds.

That was the theory. I put it to the test this morning in sunshine and a light south-westerly, and I did find plenty of insectivores, but not the right ones. The site is frustratingly hard to work. A footpath runs along the river Arrow on the opposite bank to the sewage works, and tantalising glimpses of a small pool bordered by reedbed suggests that anyone working for Severn Trent would be getting wonderful views of the resident wildfowl. 

Meanwhile, outside the fence and beyond the river I can see four Teal, two Grey Herons, and hear the squeal of a Water Rail. But all is not lost because I can also see lots of gnats and hear several Goldcrests. What I can't find are any warblers. Eventually I rectified this with a male Blackcap back by the car-park.

The best moments came from pasture grazed by a flock of sheep at the northern perimeter. A flock of Long-tailed Tits filtered through trees bordering the Arrow, and several Grey Wagtails.

Grey Wagtail

to be continued.

I've just heard there's a Red-flanked Bluetail at Lion Wood three miles from my house. I'm off.

DIPPED! 

Where were we? Also present among the sheep were 37 Pied Wagtails, two Meadow Pipits, 23 Siskins, and five Lesser Redpolls.

Meadow Pipit

Pied Wagtail

Lesser Redpoll

I spent a while watching birds feeding in the shelter of a hedge within HOEF land, the above Redpoll being one of them. 

Little did I know that a lifer was being ringed and released three miles from my house. I have to admit that missing it was a bit disappointing. 

A flock of Dippers

It was seen twice while I was there by Craig Reed and Rob Clipson, who even photographed it. Everyone else as far as I know was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to report that I was in the right place for the second sighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased for...honest. I'll try again tomorrow.

      Delete