Tuesday 8 December 2020

Tuesday December 8 - Greater Morton Bagot

 After a rather gloomy visit on Sunday I was determined that today would be better. The weather was certainly playing ball, mostly sunny with a very light south-westerly, and I had a plan.

After parking at Netherstead I marched to the south-eastern tip of my patch, then crossed the road and walked into virgin HOEF territory. This little strip of newly planted trees led me on to the northern edge of Morgrove Coppice.

The plan was to head to the pines and relocate the Crossbills found by Mark last week. I reached the car-park (still out of bounds and being worked on by contractors) and veered to the right along the boardwalk. Having walked its full length I found myself facing the stand of scots pines and larch, and right on cue heard a burst of Crossbill calls. Now that's what I call a plan.

It took me a while to set eyes on any Crossbills, but eventually another call led me to a single bird at the top of a pine.

Crossbill

My feeling was that this was a dull male, but I must admit that looking at my photo it might actually be greenish rather than orangish, so maybe a female. It soon disappeared and I decided to return to the main track and edge north. This paid off when I found a definite male which I decided to film. It was briefly joined by a second bird, as you'll see.


These birds were annoyingly silent and soon slipped out of view. With no further sign I continued onwards.

A Raven was "kronking" from a tree, and I was able to get a shot. Further on a sizeable flock of Coal Tits, Goldcrests, and Long-tailed Tits kept me interested, particularly when they were joined by at least one Marsh Tit.

Raven

Marsh Tit

Several Redpolls were flying around, but I decided to return to the road and walk the five minute journey back to my patch. The last hour had left me entertaining the thought of extending the patch to include Morgrove Coppice, hence Greater Morton Bagot, but I won't. Mind you if there'd been a Two-barred Crossbill in there, it would have been a done deal.

Back at the south-end weedy field I was pleased to find about a dozen Lesser Redpolls, a similar number of Goldfinches, and at least eight Reed Buntings. It's still looking good.

Lesser Redpolls

A Stonechat was one of two I saw today, and a male Kestrel one of three across the patch.

Kestrel

The last hour was spent yomping over to the flash field. En route I met Mike Lane, who was making his latest Youtube video, the subject being how to film Redwings and Fieldfares. There are still plenty around. 

Shortly afterwards I spotted a Peregrine on the pylons and a Sparrowhawk, which later perched in a distant oak. By now the light was distinctly cloudy so I decided not to dazzle Mike with my photographic ability,

The flash field was somewhat quiet; six Black-headed Gulls, 12 Teal, four Shovelers, a few Mallard, and 11 Snipe. With time pressing on, I did an about-face and headed back to the car.

Definitely a better day.


No comments:

Post a Comment