Sunday 24 January 2021

Sunday January 24 - Walking to Morton Bagot

 It has to be said that today was probably not the best day I could have chosen to attempt to walk to Morton Bagot across the fields from my front door, but choose it I did.

The forecast snow arrived just before I set out, and the outward journey was pretty miserable. Driving snow added to my directional issues, but after several unnecessary circumnavigations of fields I should have walked across I arrived in the vicinity after about 90 minutes.

I actually took a wrong turn (one of many) and found myself in the marshy field beyond the flash field, oops. Before I retraced my steps, my blundering flushed a Little Egret which was probably the bird of the morning.

Once back on the right route I found my way to the Morton Brook, and as the snow eased a bit it felt great to be back on the patch.

The Kingfisher Pool

The only water that was ice free was a corner of the Kingfisher Pool, although the 15 Mallard I flushed had actually been standing on the ice which covered 90% of it.

Although the nearest flash was completely ice-bound it was covered in gulls.

The nearest flash

I had chosen to leave my scope at home, and carry sandwiches and a flask instead. With hindsight this was a mistake. Through binoculars I counted 192 Black-headed Gulls and eight Lesser Black-backed Gulls which is a pretty decent count for here.

Zooming in on the gulls

Behind the flash I could see a couple of Lapwings and at least four Snipe. A scope would certainly have bumped up that total.

I had time to circle the weedy field as the weather worsened once more. Five Stonechats were still toughing it out. They will be greatly relieved if the expected milder conditions return next week. A small number of Skylarks flew over, but I didn't see very much else at all.

There is something rather magical about Morton Bagot in the snow though, so I'm glad I made the effort.

A hurrying Hare

The best conditions were reserved for the walk back although the snow that had fallen since I set out had completely covered my footprints, causing further confusion.

These sheep were disappointed I wasn't dishing out bales of hay

The main point of the exercise was to prove to myself that it could be done in the course of a morning, and as I returned at one o'clock I felt vindicated.

Morton Bagot is back on the agenda.


No comments:

Post a Comment