Thursday 7 January 2021

Thursday January 7 - getting addicted to the garden

Today has been remarkably cold, the freezing fog refusing to lift resulting in a maximum temperature of -1 degrees C.

I had not planned to watch birds today, but immediately after noticing three Fieldfares fighting all-comers  on the lawn I was hooked.

I didn't feel like another day of sketching, so went for the easier option of filming.






So although I didn't set out to count everything from dawn till dusk, I couldn't help noticing that there were even more birds than yesterday. At least five Redwings, seven Blackbirds, and 20 Goldfinches were bouncing and fluttering all over the place. It was truly addictive.

My only regret was that when a male Siskin briefly joined the Goldfinch flock before deciding the feeder was too crowded, I fluffed my chance to get a photo of it.

I would like to say I won't be bothering tomorrow, but with the temperature set to remain low I cannot give any such undertaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment