Friday 14 May 2021

Friday May 14 - doing my duty

 I was back on the patch today, taking advantage of a dry day in this very wet week. It was quite still and almost humid, so quite a good day to resume my survey work.

I walked the entire boundary of the patch and was struck by the good numbers of singing birds; 15 pairs of Linnets, 18 pairs of Goldfinches, and 23 pairs of Blackbirds for example. I have one more transect to walk, and will work out the number of pairs for the site after that.

With high water levels I was not expecting anything unusual, and sure enough the best sightings were a singing Willow Warbler (compared to 13 singing Chiffchaffs), a Nuthatch (missed on the all-dayer), a Grey Wagtail (also not seen on the all-dayer) and an adult Red Kite.

Red Kite

Looking at the moult showing in its wings, I think this is the same bird as I saw on the day of the all-dayer a couple of weeks ago.

At least 30 Swallows were hawking insects over the flash pools, and five screaming Swifts gave the day an early summer feel.

There is still no sign of the Cuckoo, but at least I heard one yesterday on a whistle-stop call to Haselor scrape.

The moth trap goes out tonight.

I caught just three moths: Shuttle-shaped Dart, Seraphim (nfy), and Brimstone Moth (nfy).

No comments:

Post a Comment