Tuesday 18 May 2021

Tuesday May 18

 A largely sunny morning with a light westerly breeze.

I paused beneath Bannams Wood with the vague notion of seeing whether I could still hear the Redstart. I was unsuccessful, but didn't give it very long because my main focus today was to be completing this year's breeding bird survey.

In fact the most memorable thing about the morning was firstly bumping into Andy Harris, who is a talented wildlife photographer who follows this blog, and later meeting Paul Ackerman who also reads the blog and was engaged in a wetland bird survey for the BTO. From him I learned that the real name of the flash field is the Mill Field. 

I saw Andy again as I was completing the transect, and so he walked round with me as we chatted about birds, photography, and wildlife. Andy has a proper camera and takes proper photographs, completely unlike my efforts at record shots like this one:

The Little Grebe was still present

Never mind.

One or two butterflies were on the wing, and I finally got a shot of a Brimstone.

Brimstone

That's more like it.

As far as birds are concerned, I got some decent counts of singing Whitethroats, and Reed Buntings, and decided there were three Reed Warblers singing at the dragonfly pool reedbed.

Pretty quiet.

The trap went out overnight and I caught the following:

Garden Carpet    1        Common Pug    1 (nfy)        Pale Tussock    1 (nfy)        Heart and Dart    1 (nfy)
Shuttle-shaped Dart    2

As I said, pretty quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment