Tuesday 28 September 2021

Tuesday September 28 - A change of plan brings a change of luck

 Originally, Wednesday looked like the obvious day to go birding. The only calm day of the week. But this was also the best day to get my Mum over, so I changed to Tuesday, reasoning that the wet weather wasn't due until the afternoon.

So this morning I was out in reasonably fine weather, the wind a steadily strengthening south-westerly. Up to 10 Swallows were around, and there was a trickle of Meadow Pipits heading south. As far as the photography went it was proving to be another frustrating day. I had managed half a Jay (the other four and a half having evaded the lens entirely), and a bush that had held a Whitethroat until just before I pressed the shutter. 

The late Whitethroat looked like being the bird of the day until I arrived at the flash field. A quick scan of the nearest flash revealed a juvenile Black-tailed Godwit vigorously preening itself. So vigorously that my first three long distance record shots revealed it contorting into various shapes, mostly hiding its bill. Then it took off. Oh no. Fuzzy flight shots at least ruled out any other godwit species, and my only acceptable record shot came as it flew towards me before landing again on the flash.

Black-tailed Godwit

I reasoned that I should get a better view from beneath the trees at the other viewing spot, so I hurried there. On arrival I saw that the bird was still present, at the back edge...and then it wasn't. I have always suspected that this viewing point was not as well screened as it needed to be, and the jittery Godwit must have noticed me and taken flight. I heard it call, and that was that. It left. So all I have of it on the ground are three original efforts (all poor). This is the best of them.

Black-tailed Godwit

Everything else was completely relaxed. The 37 Lapwings, seven Snipe, two Green Sandpipers, and 20 Teal all ignored me completely. Perhaps the godwit would have gone anyway.

The return journey added four Blackcaps, six Chiffchaffs, 50 Goldfinches, and at least four (possibly six) Stonechats. 

Yet another Stonechat shot

At least Stonechats understand how to pose for an old duffer with a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment