Wednesday 8 September 2021

Wednesday September 8 - That morning after feeling

 OK, strictly speaking this was not the morning after the alldayer, but it was my next visit. I arrived earlier than normal to try to avoid the forecast heat. It was certainly sunny with a light easterly.

I always find myself slipping into big day mode to start with. Walking slowly, sun at my back, feeling quite sharp and optimistic. Determined not to miss a thing. The hedgerows around Netherstead are still decent, Chiffchaffs, a Lesser Whitethroat, seven Blackcaps, and three Whitethroats briefly appear and disappear. There are fewer hirundines over the copse, but that could just be the sunny weather causing them to disperse more widely.

Eventually I hear and see a species we missed on Saturday, a Greenfinch. There are normally dozens of them in early September. The sunny weather does permit some photography, but most birds are too quick for me. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was more obliging.

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Eventually I found a Whinchat, and maybe two more, but by now it was getting hotter and harder to get good views.  

At the flash field a flock of 48 Greylag Geese were present to remind me how ludicrous was their absence on Saturday. On the other hand the Lapwings had disappeared. I counted 82 Teal, but there was still no Garganey so it must have moved on, but four Shovelers, three Green Sandpipers, three Snipe, 11 Black-headed Gulls, and a Grey Heron were present.

My focus started to waver on the way back. 


In the corner of the Kingfisher Pool there is dead tree ringed by fungi. As far as the species is concerned I have no idea, but a bit of internet research came up with the Scalycap group, and possibly Golden Scalycap

Golden Scalycap ?

By now it was getting seriously hot, and my route took me into the sun. So walking head down with few stops my only chance of finding anything would come if I stepped on it.

Perhaps fortunately, I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment