Sunday 24 October 2021

Friday/Sunday October 22/24

 It may be unprecedented for me to combine two visits into one post, and it's not good news. 

After cowering at home for most of last week I finally set foot outside on Friday, and found that the heavy rain earlier in the week had swamped the muddy edge of the nearest flash, and had created the semblance of a pool in the old pool field. That at least encouraged a young Mute Swan to visit, my first here for months (although Tony K had seen one a couple of weeks ago).

Mute Swan

There were a few finches flying about and about 45 Redwings in the hedgerows, but in truth it was pretty hopeless.

Overnight the temperature was in single figures so I wasn't surprised that moth activity was limited. In fact I caught just one moth, but at least the Red-lined Quaker was new for the year, and only my second ever.

Red-line Quaker

This morning I was hoping for a change of fortune. I joined Dave and we enjoyed 30 minutes of sunshine before a front rolled in and it rained for the rest of the morning.

Highlights were four Redpolls, a Grey Wagtail, and a small movement of Starlings. We eventually counted 91 Starlings moving west, and 61 Redwings, a few of which may have been migrating south-west.

I've had better weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment