Friday 18 March 2022

Friday March 18 - Wootton Pool

 About a dozen years ago Dave and I spent a lot of our time carrying at BTO Atlas work in SP16, the Henley-in-Arden square, so we got to know it quite well. Perhaps too well, for I have been a little reluctant to visit the part of my Circle which coincides with SP16. Familiarity breeds contempt.

But this morning I thought it was about time I visited the most substantial body of water in the Henley area, Wootton Pool. There are access issues, but it can be viewed through the trees from the other side of the River Alne.

The visit wasn't too bad. Nothing to Tweet about, but a nice male Shoveler, at least 28 Tufted Ducks, four Great Crested Grebes, a Cormorant, and the expected Mallards, and Greylag Geese. I wonder what I missed this winter.

Shoveler

The intervening foliage means that the only way to get an image was to stick the camera on auto and hope for the best.

The sunny morning was not ideal for encouraging any passing Sand Martins to stop. They seem to be in short supply this year, but it's bit early to start getting concerned. 

I walked up the Alne and eventually had a fleeting view of a Kingfisher, and found a handful of Reed Buntings, and Linnets. A few Chiffchaffs were singing, but there were few other signs of spring.

The drive back home gained me two roadside Brimstones, and I am seeing a few bees in the garden, and ants in the utility room. The weather is set fair. It won't be long now.

No comments:

Post a Comment