Friday 25 March 2022

Friday March 25 - twitching here, twitching there

 When I signed up for the #LocalBigYear challenge I imagined myself swanning about, finding the odd good bird, and generally exploring as much as birding. 

But with a hint of easterly in the breeze, all that can quickly go out of the window. Today was all about twitching other birder's finds. It started out with a message from John Coombes that a Cetti's Warbler had turned up on his patch at Kinwarton.

I duly drove down there, and quickly located the bird. Typically it was singing loudly and was very difficult to see. I saw it in flight a couple of times but hardly at all once it had landed. John joined me, and for a while we wondered whether there were two birds. The male was singing with its normal gusto, but we also heard a sub-song. We couldn't prove it either way.


Also present was a pair of Little Grebes, the first in summer plumage I've seen this year.

Little Grebe

I had a quick look at the Golden Plover field on the way back, but they were not present. Continuing on to Arrow Valley Lake I counted about 28 Black-headed Gulls but nothing with them, and noticed that at least four Blackcaps have arrived.

Blackcap

That was supposed to be the end of the day's birding, but after lunch Neil D messaged me with news that Chris Lane had found a pair of Garganey at a tiny pool behind Norgrove Court last night. 

I found them quite easily and managed some shots of the male before withdrawing.

Garganey

I wasn't quite sure who knew about them, so left without getting a shot of the female and without a clear view of the drake. I've since seen some belters on Twitter so I rather wish I'd tried harder.

It's nicer to find your own birds, but making sure you see someone else's can come a close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment