Tuesday 20 December 2022

Tuesday December 20 - winding down

 So the weather is back to normal, sunny and mild but damp under foot. Deep into December the chance of any new #LocalBigYear ticks seems poor. All that's left is a bit of exploring.

This morning I tried a few square kilometres in the Alne Wood/Jackson's Wood area. These woods are owned by Heart of England forest, and as I usually find when traipsing along footpaths within them, I soon got lost.

By the time I reached a road, I found I was next to the Dan Skelton racing stables, and was attracting a good deal of enquiring looks from the numerous equestrians. What I wasn't finding was anything unusual. The best was a Tawny Owl which was being mobbed by a small flock of woodland birds but still broke cover before I could locate its roosting place.

Given the sunny weather, I should have concentrated on trying to photograph stuff, but by the time I was clear of the woods I still hadn't tried. Once in open country a couple of Meadow Pipits gave me an opportunity.

Meadow Pipit

The run up to Christmas looks pretty busy so it may be a week before I can get out again. I guess I'm just winding down until it all starts again next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment