Tuesday 6 December 2022

Tuesday December 6 - Now and Then

 This morning I opted to go exploring, and chose a route in the North Worcestershire area of my Circle, from Forhill to Hopwood via Lea End and back skirting Red Hill. Only I wasn't exactly going to untrodden territory. My Birdtrack notes reminded me that I had been here before...over 40 years ago.

As a recently fledged birder I was cutting my teeth by taking part in the BTO's Winter Bird Atlas, and my visit is dated February 1 1981. 

So I thought it might be interesting to compare the two visits. The habitat seemed broadly similar; fields of pasture and scattered woodland.

The view from Forhill towards Hopwood

The actual number of species seen was pretty similar, about 26 in 1981 and 24 in 2022. But the species involved, and the numbers seen revealed differences which I think would alarm young birders today.

There were a few positives. In 1981 I had no chance of Buzzard and Raven, and I didn't see any Goldfinches, Nuthatches or Great Spotted Woodpeckers, all in my notebook today. The bulk of species seen were Jackdaws, and Rooks. Blackbirds totalled 13, and that was typical of the counts of most of the the common passerines.

Compare that to my notebook for 1981.

Bittell birders may be interested to know that the scrawl above Lea End is for there


I would draw your attention to the following: A Willow Tit at Hopwood (which I did highlight among the "most interesting"), and the collection of finches, sparrows, and buntings feeding around a sheep feeding trough at Lea End. These included two Corn Buntings, 19 Yellowhammers, and three Tree Sparrows. I can still remember the Corn Buntings, which were definitely a surprise. The rest were just expected.

As for the numbers seen, 18 Blackbirds is a little more than I saw today, but what about 72 House Sparrows compared to just 18 today (and I thought that was quite good).

So what would you rather see, a smattering of Goldfinches and loads of corvids, or loads of Yellowhammers and their ilk? 

The countryside needs more messy bits, like the one shown below near the top of the Wast Hills. I'd like to think that one day the politicians will get that. Perhaps there will be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Pot of gold? Don't hold your breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment