Saturday 18 February 2023

Saturday February 18 - Henley-in-Arden (then chasing some wild geese)

 I wasn't going to bother writing up today's effort, but events late in the afternoon have persuaded me otherwise.

The Henley bit consisted of following the Alne north through the town with a short diversion to Buckley Green where it rained and I saw nothing very interesting. 

The highlights were saved for the town. Firstly I heard a Blackcap singing in a small park area adjacent to the car-park, but couldn't see it. Secondly, I was striding back down the High Street when I noticed a moth, specifically a Pale Brindled Beauty, resting on the side of an office building.

Pale Brindled Beauty

Back at home this afternoon I got a message from Josh. Stuart Hares had located the Tundra Bean Goose and Pink-footed Goose at Shortwood Roughs. I headed straight for Grange Lane and parked by the canal. A quick scan produced some distant Geese so I did a very dodgy three-point turn and drove to  back down the lane thinking they would be visible from the footpath.

This was where things went a bit wrong. Basically I misjudged how far away they were, and half way along the path I realised I was in the wrong field. Then I heard Greylags calling from behind a big hedge so I crept up and scanned them with the bins. The Geese had obviously clocked me and were standing to attention. Eventually I located the Tundra Bean and the Pink-foot, but they were in a dip in the field and still quite distant. I cautiously dropped to my haunches to try erecting my tripod, but the game was up. The geese took off and circled the field twice before heading north back to Bittell. I could see the slight size difference between the two stars but not much else. Even a record shot was out of the question.

Apologies to anyone else who was hoping to see them there.

I have a snippet of Morton Bagot news. John Chidwick saw three Green Sandpipers there this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment